Furious Angels

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES

Trevlac
    Trevlac
    Admin

Female Number of posts : 686
    Experience :
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar0 / 500 / 50STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class:
    Life:
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar10/10STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty_bar  (10/10)
    Weave:
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar5/5STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty_bar  (5/5)

STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES

Post by Trevlac Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:40 am

There is a bottomless well full of scientific research, peer reviewed journals, and fact outlining that meditation increases brain activity, lessens negative cognitive and physical effects, changes reaction to stimuli, and helps people in areas that we could only dream of. Seriously. Stop bashing it. I'm sick of people saying there's no scientific evidence when we conduct several studies each year on meditation only to prove them all right.

A group of neuroscientists went to visit the Dalai Lama and a few of his closest monk friends at their home in Dharamsala, India. What they wanted to know was whether meditation can expand or strengthen circuits in a person’s brain. It has already been demonstrated that outside stimulation can affect the brain. They wanted to verify whether the power of one’s own internal concentration can do the same.

Their findings, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, were remarkable. The monks who participated had in excess of 10,000 hours of meditation experience. They were asked to meditate on specific ideas, like compassion. Their brain functioning was compared to inexperienced meditators focusing on the same subject. The increase in the activity of the monk’s brains was not only greater than that of the inexperienced people to whom they were compared; it was greater than anything previously recorded in similar research. The high-frequency brain activity called gamma waves of their brains dramatically increased during the experiment. These tests also relied on functional magnetic resonance imaging to document activity in the left prefrontal cortex of the participant’s brains.

The thought experiment actually overwhelmed activity in the right prefrontal cortex where negative emotions and anxiety dwell. It appears that their discipline has increased the level of their consciousness in a positive and measurable way.

Additional information gathered by research scientist Sara Lazar of Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School revealed a thicker cortex in the brains of those who practiced Buddhist insight meditation.
    Ordin
    Ordin
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 432
    Experience :
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar4 / 504 / 50STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator/Judge
    Life:
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar160/200STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty_bar  (160/200)
    Weave:
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar30/30STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty_bar  (30/30)

STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty Re: STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES

Post by Ordin Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:27 am

I used to meditate for hours a day. Back then, my brain was much stronger, I was more personally aware and able to make clear, conscious thoughts, and i was able to direct my depression in an outward, rather than inward, way. I didn't REALIZE I was meditating, but that was exactly what I was doing and it helped me a lot.

I don't understand what the point of saying it doesn't work is. At the very simplest explanation its "calming the fuck down", which in itself is a useful thing to do every once in a while.
    Toothpick
    Toothpick

Male Number of posts : 273
    Experience :
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar2 / 502 / 50STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator
    Life:
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar166/166STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty_bar  (166/166)
    Weave:
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar18/18STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty_bar  (18/18)

Post by Toothpick Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:00 am

Who bashes it? I've mostly seen it praised....
    Daius
    Daius

Male Number of posts : 202
    Experience :
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar3 / 503 / 50STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Judge
    Life:
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar179/179STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty_bar  (179/179)
    Weave:
    STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Left_bar23/23STOP BASHING MEDIDATION, ASSHOLES Empty_bar  (23/23)

Post by Daius Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:51 pm

I really must meditate more. I've always found it easier to meditate when I'm sitting in my tub during a shower. I hear nothing but the water and it's calming...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:44 am