Furious Angels

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

on LGBT rights

Ordin
    Ordin
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 432
    Experience :
    on LGBT rights Left_bar4 / 504 / 50on LGBT rights Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator/Judge
    Life:
    on LGBT rights Left_bar160/200on LGBT rights Empty_bar  (160/200)
    Weave:
    on LGBT rights Left_bar30/30on LGBT rights Empty_bar  (30/30)

on LGBT rights Empty on LGBT rights

Post by Ordin Sun May 24, 2009 12:29 am

people have been saying "those rights aren't the same as THESE rights!" and they always list different (wrong) reasons why. let me list them for you:

1. a woman's place is in the kitchen! god made her the servant to adam, and that's where she'll remain! women don't know what they want or how to go about doing it, they need a man to show them the way.
    2. black people aren't the same as white people. they're inherently different. they can't possibly be as intelligent! just look at their culture in africa! black people have no right to vote, because they can't learn to read.
    3. gays shouldn't be allowed to marry! homosexuality is a myth! nobody could possibly be gay, it just doesn't make sense! man on man love is just wrong.

starting to see a trend here? "X group is not worth as much as we are, here are some reasons why that i just pulled out of my ass." it's all based around misconceptions and misunderstanding. people didn't understand that women are just as smart as men, because they weren't educated or empowered like men. blacks weren't seen as anything but work mules because that's all they had been for the previous 200 or so years. queers are seen as some abomination because certain people can't understand how somebody could be attracted to the same sex, because those certain people either a) are simply obfuscated by the idea and refuse to consider it lest they make them "gay" (circular logic) or b) are secretly homosexual and don't want to come to terms with it because they're the same as group A. gay is seen as a derogatory term because people become vicious towards things they don't understand. it hasn't been around long enough (in the center of attention like it is now) for most people to fully grasp the concept.

"women's rights are in no way similar to monkey slave rights. flag me i'll love it."
    "black rights in the same category as women's rights? o noz!"

it's the same tried and proven untrue train of xenophobia. nobody wants to accept differences. whether or not homosexuality is natural or learned, it needs to be accepted. gays aren't out to ruin your family. they are a minority that is being beset upon by a group who is afraid of them unjustly. just like women, just like blacks, just like scots. who one person decides to have sex with is of no cause for concern. fighting for gay rights does not make you gay, it means you give a shit about the ability got another person to live the way THEY WANT, which is what america is all about.

"life, love, and the pursuit of happiness." The American Dream. But only if what you consider 'life,' 'love,' and 'happiness' to be within the firmly held traditions of the majority of other Americans.

in twenty years we'll all look back on this, laugh uncomfortably and quickly change the subject.
    Trevlac
    Trevlac
    Admin

Female Number of posts : 686
    Experience :
    on LGBT rights Left_bar0 / 500 / 50on LGBT rights Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class:
    Life:
    on LGBT rights Left_bar10/10on LGBT rights Empty_bar  (10/10)
    Weave:
    on LGBT rights Left_bar5/5on LGBT rights Empty_bar  (5/5)

on LGBT rights Empty Re: on LGBT rights

Post by Trevlac Sun May 24, 2009 12:36 am

No straw man detected. Also, I can't see myself disagreeing with anything here ever so I really have nothing of value to add.

You've said it all.
    Toothpick
    Toothpick

Male Number of posts : 273
    Experience :
    on LGBT rights Left_bar2 / 502 / 50on LGBT rights Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator
    Life:
    on LGBT rights Left_bar166/166on LGBT rights Empty_bar  (166/166)
    Weave:
    on LGBT rights Left_bar18/18on LGBT rights Empty_bar  (18/18)

Post by Toothpick Sun May 24, 2009 12:41 am

Like fine dandelionwine, newly decanted, and poured into my quivering nostrils by Surfer Krishna Hisself.....
    Well done sir.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:11 am